VMware Cloud Community
Bgarrant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vcenter Server 5.5 to vcsa

Hi, I am new to vcenter server, we had trouble running the migration assisant on my 5.5 vcenter server running ln a Windows vm. We were attempting to migrate to a.6.5 vcsa.

Since the migration is failing support said a new 6.5 vcsa would be fine. Here are the steps we want to make, does a anyone forsee any issues?

We want to have no down time, we have 40 vms and 4 hosts running esxi 5.5

1) disconnect the Windows vCEnter Server network card as to remove it from the nextwork

2) deploy the vcsa 6.5 with embedded psc with the same FQDN/IP

2a) delete the AD computer for the Windows vsphere-server from AD

2b) joined the vcsa 6.5 to AD (SSH to the new vcsa 6.5 and run: /opt/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join domainusernamehere passwordhere

2c) reboot vcsa 6.5

3) The new vCSA 6.5 will be on evaluation license. You may upgrade the license from vCenter 5 to vCenter 6 from the my.vmware.comportal

4) apply the vcenter 6 license

5) create new datacenter

6) create new cluster

7) add esxi host 1-4 in

7a) enable vSphere HA

😎 add in the vmware admins group for permissions at vcenter level.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then you will *probably* be ok. However, keep in mind some important caveats when performing this "swing" style migration of your hosts.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using a distributed switch with this environment?

0 Kudos
Bgarrant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, Thank you for the prompt reply,  there is no distributed switch in the current environment.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then you will *probably* be ok. However, keep in mind some important caveats when performing this "swing" style migration of your hosts.

0 Kudos