VMware Cloud Community
Scorpio12138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to install VCenter server v6.5U2

I get an error when installing vcenter server v6.5U2 in windows server 2008 r2 :“VMware virtualcenter failed firstboot... failed to generate virtualcenter symmetric encryption key”.

My database is SQL 2008R2 SP2

Does anyone can help me solve this problem? Thanks so much!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This issue occurs when the Microsoft security patches, MS17-010 and MS17-012, are not applied on the Windows 2008 R2 machine that vCenter Server is being installed on. Install the above two security updates, reboot the server and then try installing the vCenter.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This issue occurs when the Microsoft security patches, MS17-010 and MS17-012, are not applied on the Windows 2008 R2 machine that vCenter Server is being installed on. Install the above two security updates, reboot the server and then try installing the vCenter.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

Scorpio12138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help ,I will follow this method

0 Kudos
Scorpio12138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried the method you said and it worked!Thank you very much

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Although you seem to have resolved your issue, it's strongly, strongly recommended that you do not use a Windows-based vCenter. After this latest release, it will not be carried forward so it makes very little sense to install one now.

0 Kudos
Scorpio12138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You mean VCSA  will be the only one in the future?Do you have any official documents about this .I'd like to know more about it .Thank you for your generous help

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, I mean vCSA is the only one that'll be available in the future. Did you read the blog post I mentioned? It explains it all there. This is why I said, for a new vCenter install, don't use a Windows vCenter. I'd recommend you get on the vCSA now rather than later. It'll save you time and possibly hassle in the future.

0 Kudos
Scorpio12138
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh sorry. I didn't realize that it was a link to a blog, thank you very much and  I will read it carefully.

0 Kudos