VMware Cloud Community
VirtualDJM
Contributor
Contributor

Running ESXi on a MAC

I have a Macbook pro with 16GB RAM and running latest macOS.  I also have VMware Fusion 10 Pro

running on my MAC.  I was informed in LinkedIn that it is possible to install ESXi on a MAC and that it

is free for education purposes.  I took a very intensive course on VMware vSphere 6.5 and would like

to gain some hands-on experience.  Please let me know the step-by-step procedure to install ESXi

on a macbook pro. I am currently looking for job opportunities and some hands-on experience would

be very helpful.

Thank you

5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

For educational purposes I would keep it simple and install ESXi as a guest VM.

Create a new VM set the guest OS to VMware ESX and match it closest to the ESXi version.

You can run a few nested VMs in that config too.

I'm not 100% sure you can install ESXi on your macbook pro directly, chances are that it is possible, but you would have to wipe everything that is currently installed on it.

It is more common to do that kind of setup on a mac mini, imac or mac pro.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

To add to what wila already said,

To install a ESXi 6.5 on MacBook Pro directly you would likely need to wipe out the macOS as a result to have the ESXi datastore. You should be able to install ESXi 6.5 on an SD card or USB thumb drive and boot up ESXi 6.5 from either media by holding down the Option key during power-up, however ESXi requires a wired Ethernet which 2013 and later MacBook Pro model no longer has. The Thunderbolt 2 Ethernet works with ESXi 6.5 (I have tried it with a 2014 MacBook Pro and it works). I have no idea whether it works with the 2016 and later MacBook Pro which are Thunderbolt 3 only and would have to go a bunch of adapters (be it for the Thunderbolt 2 Ethernet or an SD card reader).

You would also need another machine be it running macOS, Windows, Linux to access the ESXi running on the MacBook Pro bare metal. Running ESXi as VM under Fusion does not require another physical machine to do so.

For running ESXi as a VM under Fusion, it is better to have a 15" MacBook Pro i7 (these are 4 core/8 thread CPUs) and from a model that is from "Late 2013" onwards. The "Early 2013" still uses Ivy Bridge CPUs. "Late 2013" models and onwards uses Haswell/Crystal Well or newer CPUs which have features that make nested VMs run better although it is unlikely to be noticeable for education purposes with ESXi (i.e. learning the ESXi CLI, getting familiar with creating/managing VMs under ESXi).

SupreetK
Commander
Commander

VMware Workstation would be a better choice. To start of with, check the below links -

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2015/10/building-minimal-vsphere-demo-lab-using-vmware-fusionworksta...

Ideas for a vSphere home lab in Workstation or Fusion | VMwarebits.com

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
RandomMacGuy
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I know it's been a while since you posted this but I just upgraded my MacBook and was going to use the old one as a ESXI server.

I been trying to install it but every time I tried it comes up with no network available and it won't let me install!

How did you manage to get it working on your 2014 MacBook Pro?

Thanks

0 Kudos
danishaider
Contributor
Contributor

Below mentioned is the link for a YouTube video below which briefly describes how to install ESXi on MAC

A WESOME!! Running VMware ESXi 7 on a Mac Mini [Host setup guide] 

0 Kudos