VMware Cloud Community
cc1983SG
Contributor
Contributor

Multicast issues

Multicast issues:

My environment is 7 physical servers configured as VSAN. Weird behavior: I tried to run 7 vm to receive the same Multicast addresses where each vm run on each physical server..  I realized that not all vm can receive the same Multicast packets.

The following is one test that i did: There are 3 vm (A B C) where VM A run on physical server 1, VM B run on physical server 2. and VM C run on physical server 3. Only VM A and B can receive the multicast packet. If i reboot the servers, Sometime i get the result that only VM A can receive the Multicast packet.

After that, I did another test:

For example, There are two set of multicast address 1 and 2. and There are three VM A B C.

only VM A and B can receive multicast address 1.

only VM A and C can receive multicast address 2. 

Do i need to configure anything for VM?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

First, from a guest perspective this doesn't have anything to do with vSAN, so it probably doesn't belong in this forum. Second, from a VM configuration perspective there should be no special config needed to deal with multicast. Without seeing and understanding how your L2/L3 layers are designed, constructed, and configured it's difficult to say where to start. This is most likely an external networking configuration issue with your multicast.

0 Kudos
cc1983SG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I did another test using laptop.  For example by plugging laptop  into the switch for all ports,  our laptop is able to receive all multicast packets.  Does that mean it has nothing to do with L2/L3 configuration?

0 Kudos