VMware Cloud Community
Akopylov
Commander
Commander

ESXTOP some counters

Hello there. Need help of ESXTOP masters here.

I'm pretty confused about some counters of D view and U view of ESXTOP. I've read some materials such as Interpreting esxtop 4.1 Statistics​ (it's rather old though), ESXTOP - Yellow Bricks ​and few others, but still can't get clear understanding of:

D view:

1. IOSTATS, such as CMDS/s, READS/s, WRITES/s. It says here VMware Knowledge Base​ that CMDS is a number of SCSI commands per second, so I guess CMDS/s is greater or equal IOPS, am I right? I mean frontend IOPS, surely the number of backend IOPS will be greater than CMDS/s in most cases.

2. RESVSTATS, such as RESV/s. I guess RESV/s should probably be equal to 0 all the time, cause SCSI reservations are not used as VMFS locking mechanism anymore (ATS is used AFAIK).

3. ERRSTATS. What is the difference between ABRTS/s and RESETS/s?

4. PAE. No idea at all, the description of PAECMDs in Interpreting esxtop 4.1 Statistics​​ is totally unclear for me.

U view:

1. WQLEN of QSTATS. What is the world in the context of LUN view? And so what is the world queue depth?

2. ACTV of QSTATS. Ok, QUED it the number of queued commands atm, but what are the active commands? This description of ESXTOP bible: "The number of commands in the ESX Server VMKernel that are currently active." does not help at all. So if I don't know what is ACTV, then I can't get what is USD and LOAD, cause these metrics are based on ACTV.

0 Kudos
0 Replies