VMware Communities
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

Shared folder file access times out with file not found

Workstation 14.1.2

host: Win 10 X64 16 GB with SSD and Hybrid SSD for the data files ==> sharing a folder to guest

guest: Win 7 32 9GB memory allocated

When I start with a fresh repower of the guest, open my application then navigate to the data folder pretty quick.

Once I select the file I want to open things bog down and after 30 seconds it says it cannot find the file.

From that point forward everything in the guest is painstakingly slow, and I am forced to restart the guest.

Looking for ideas to make the share folders work.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

0 Kudos
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for late response.

Could you share the tools version inside your Win7 32bit guest? Is there same problem in other VMs?

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

10.2.5.8049 (build-8068393)

Workstation 14Pro

14.1.2 (build 8497320)

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To confirm, you are opening the shared folder in your application and it runs into file not found? How about you open the shared folder in Windows explorer? Does it run into "file not found" either?

0 Kudos
wvmstr
Contributor
Contributor

There are two guests both are W7 32.

Only one of the guests has the software on it that I am experiencing this issue with.

The other is a throwaway VM in case I need some free-ware application and don't want to risk infection on my work environment.

I am using Autodesk Inventor & Vault in the guest.

My main workflow is on the host.

Since my original post I have moved the Autodesk related files to the guest, which works the way I had hoped the Shared Folders to work. But my main workflow is on the host, so this creates all sorts of problems.

Is my tools version the one I need to use?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your tools version is correct. So when you open shared folder in Autodesk in guest, you are experiencing the issue? How about you open the shared folder from Windows explorer \\vmware-host\Shared Folders, is it working?

0 Kudos