VMware Communities
Brodo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suitable VMplayer and Linux Kernel Version for Core 2 Processors ?

I'm building a VM host out of junkbox bits using a QX9650 processor and Linux_64 as an OS.
I understand that because of limitations I will have to use V12.x for the host, but it also appears that V12 does not run on later linux kernels (above 4.4.3 ?).
Can someone please advise what VMplayer version number and what kernel version I can use in this instance ?

Also, does anyone know where I can download older versions of VMware Player ? Is there an archive somewhere ?

TIA

Brodo

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Player download:

VMware Player 12 Download

Not sure what version of kernel but  4.4.3 sounds about right.

Oh wait..I did make a note along those lines.

Highest kernel I was able to get to work with workstation 12.5.2 was kernel 4.8.17

Not sure if that also runs with Player 12.5.9, but I would try to use the latest 12.x version of workstation if at all possible.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Player download:

VMware Player 12 Download

Not sure what version of kernel but  4.4.3 sounds about right.

Oh wait..I did make a note along those lines.

Highest kernel I was able to get to work with workstation 12.5.2 was kernel 4.8.17

Not sure if that also runs with Player 12.5.9, but I would try to use the latest 12.x version of workstation if at all possible.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

In the release notes of Workstation Pro 12.5.3, it is indicated that the with Linux host with kernel 4.9.0 of failing to start is resolved. Chances the case would be the same with Player 12.5.3.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/12.0/rn/workstation-1253-release-notes.html#resolv...

You can also look at this GitHub link for higher versions of Linux kernels.

https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules

Brodo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The system is now up and running. I scrounged around and found an old version of PCLinuxOS with a 4.4.1 kernel, and that with the VMplayer V12.5.7 I had on hand made a working system. <YES emoji>

Thanks to everyone that gave help. It really was appreciated.

Thanks to Wila for the link to v12.5.9 download page, I did look for it on the VMware site, but it was pretty well hidden when you're coming in from their home page... Smiley Sad

Some FYI's

Player V12.5.7 runs quite happily on the 4.4.1 kernel, but not on a 4.4.4

Player V12.5.9 does not run on a 4.16.2 kernel

I couldn't try the 12.5.9 on any other kernels as the 4.4.4 machine had already been overwritten by the time I had the link for it, and after all the BS&T I wasn't going to blow away a working machine but I now have both the Linux and Windows version on file for a day when I feel like being experimental again. Smiley Happy

Regards

Brodo

0 Kudos