VMware Communities
kevinp2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

MacOS High Sierra (10.13) host + VmWare Fusion 10 + Windows 7 guest on Bootcamp partition - stable?

This is my work / bread and butter setup - does anyone have this configuration working in a stable way?  If you have personal experience, any observations and tips and tricks are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevinp2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A further update after about 6 weeks of continuous daily use:

In general, this combination has been robust.  However, two Windows apps don't seem to work well under Fusion:

The Brave web browser (brave.com)

Signal private messaging client.

Both of these apps, when started under Fusion, max the CPU at 100% for several minutes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kevinp2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So El Capitan + VmWare Fusion 10 + Windows 7 guest appear to work fine together.

Next step:  Upgrade El Capitan to High Sierra.

0 Kudos
kevinp2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Next step: I upgraded the Mac OS to High Sierra.  The upgrade went fine, although I had to unplug my external monitor from my MacBook to let the upgrade go through.

After the upgrade was completed, Fusion would not boot the Bootcamp partition, claiming it could not find a disk to boot from.  I found my problem described here and followed the well written instructions to fix this issue:

Boot Camp virtual machine created by Fusion on macOS High Sierra or higher version does not have cor...

I have been running this now for a couple of days and it seems to be working fine, although definitely slower than booting Windows from Bootcamp. 

0 Kudos
kevinp2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A further update after about 6 weeks of continuous daily use:

In general, this combination has been robust.  However, two Windows apps don't seem to work well under Fusion:

The Brave web browser (brave.com)

Signal private messaging client.

Both of these apps, when started under Fusion, max the CPU at 100% for several minutes.

0 Kudos