VMware Communities
russ79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linux / Windows 10 dual boot with Vmware workstation booting RAW partition

Anyone get this working? I've got Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 installed with GRUB handling the UEFI boot....

My problem is that for me to boot the raw linux partition from windows I need to include the EFI partition which keeps giving me the error that it is in use

"The physical disk is already in use"

Is there a workaround? is it possible to create a 2nd EFI partition that workstation can use to get Linux booting?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a workaround?
Yes

"The physical disk is already in use" - you do NOT want this if you plan to setup a longterm stable setup.

I assume that you use rawdisks of the type "partitionedDevice" and not the type "fullDisk" ?

If I guess correctly the solution to your problem is to clone the physical EFI-Partition including your GRUB bootmanager into a small vmdk.
That is the safest approach and the use of additional resources is minimal.
To find the best solution I need you to answer the following questions:
- do you want to use Windows 10 as the Workstation Host-OS ?

- do you want to use the Windows 10 as a VM ?
- do you also want to use Linux as the Host-OS ?
- please provide a screenshot of Diskmanagement of the host OS.

- please provide a list a partitions that are used by Windows (including the EFI-partition and all other partitions that have a driveletter under Windows.

- please provide a list of all partitions that you want to use from inside the virtual Linux

- do you plan to mount any physical NTFS-partitions from inside the virtual Linux ?

- do you use any encrypted partitions ?
Please answer all questions carefully in your next reply.

Ulli

-

0 Kudos
russ79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the advice on cloning the EFI partiton... that makes total sense... I'm assuming i can just use vmware converter for that?

to your questions:

I assume that you use rawdisks of the type "partitionedDevice" and not the type "fullDisk" ?

The first 3 partitons on my drive are windows and the last 4 are linux, when i create a VM disk (independent persistent) I choose the last 4 partitions, so I assume this is what you mean by partitioned device.

do you want to use Windows 10 as the Workstation Host-OS ?

Yes

do you want to use the Windows 10 as a VM ?

Yes

do you also want to use Linux as the Host-OS ?

Yes, I also want to use linux as a VM in windows... essentially, which ever host OS I'm using at the moment, Id like to boot the other OS in workstation if need be.

please provide a list a partitions that are used by Windows (including the EFI-partition and all other partitions that have a driveletter under Windows.

Recovery - 499MB - NTFS

EFI - 99MB - (disk1part2)

OS (C:) - 426.27GB - NTFS

please provide a list of all partitions that you want to use from inside the virtual Linux

/boot - 488MB - EXT2 (disk1part8)

swap - 5.72GB - (disk1part5)

/ - 38.15GB - (disk1part6)

/home - 5.72GB (disk1part7)

attached is a screen cap of disk management and a txt of diskpart output

do you plan to mount any physical NTFS-partitions from inside the virtual Linux ?

Yes, I have a 2nd drive not listed here I use for storage from both OSes

do you use any encrypted partitions ?

Yes, I will be using bitlocker on both my Windows OS drive and the secondary NTFS storage drive, I will be using dislocker in linux to unlock it.

I'm not planning on encrypting the linux OS.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry for the late reply - feel free to contact me via skype ....
So here is my suggestion:
create TWO VMs - one for your virtual Linux and another one for your virtual Windows.
For each of both VMs create a DIFFERENT vmdk using the type "partitioned device"
Be careful with the Windows VM.

Depending on your Windows licence you may be forced to reactivate your Windows.
In this case I would really recommend NOT to use Windows as a VM at all.
It is better to create a new Windows VM from scratch in this case.
Workaround for partitions that are locked by the host OS:
Boot your host to a Linux LiveCD and use dd to clone the partition. Feel free to call via skype when you need help to do this.

do you plan to mount any physical NTFS-partitions from inside the virtual Linux ?

> Yes, I have a 2nd drive not listed here I use for storage from both OSes.

Never and I mean NEVER use a Linux VM to directly access a physical NTFS partition. You will DESTROY THE NTFS-filesystem.
If you need to exchange data use regular Windows-filesharing via samba. That is the ONLY longterm stable approach.

do you use any encrypted partitions ?

> Yes, I will be using bitlocker on both my Windows OS drive and the secondary NTFS storage drive, I will be using dislocker in linux to unlock it.
I highly recommend to avoid any stunts like that. Filesharing via Samba is your only longterm safe option.

Some other survival tips that you should keep in mind:
NEVER even think about using snapshots in any of those 2 VMs.
If you create a snapshot in the Windows VM and then restart the host back into the real Windows you will corrupt the filesystem.

NEVER suspend a VM that uses physical disks. Same reason as before ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
AngryNapkin
Contributor
Contributor

Never and I mean NEVER use a Linux VM to directly access a physical NTFS partition. You will DESTROY THE NTFS-filesystem.

If you need to exchange data use regular Windows-filesharing via samba. That is the ONLY longterm stable approach.

I was also interested in doing this as I spend most my time in Linux, but need windows for a few things and would be nice to boot the raw windows install right inside vmware.

If I am reading this correctly, your saying "NOT" to boot a windows raw partition in vmware?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> If I am reading this correctly, your saying "NOT" to boot a windows raw partition in vmware?

If you boot a "physical Windows" as a VM it will detect radically changed hardware and require a re-activation.

Unless you use a Windows-version that has a corporate license this will cause way more problems than it is worth.

Windows 2003 is as far as I know the last version where a Dualboot-configuration was manageable.
Generally speaking you also should avoid:

- snapshots of "physical disks"
- suspend the host or guest if "physical disks" are involved
- mount a NTFS filesystem from Linux while it is also use from a Windows VM

0 Kudos
AngryNapkin
Contributor
Contributor

f you boot a "physical Windows" as a VM it will detect radically changed hardware and require a re-activation.

Unless you use a Windows-version that has a corporate license this will cause way more problems than it is worth.

Windows 2003 is as far as I know the last version where a Dualboot-configuration was manageable.
Generally speaking you also should avoid:

- snapshots of "physical disks"
- suspend the host or guest if "physical disks" are involved
- mount a NTFS filesystem from Linux while it is also use from a Windows VM

I see, yes this makes sense.

I tried it with success by using my disk as immutable before i even powered it on, just to see if I could boot....and it worked. Performance was not what I needed for CAD, so I opted to keep the dial boot going.

0 Kudos