VMware Horizon Community
ahmad090
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

KMS License on QuickPrep and Instant Clones

Author :

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.5/horizon-virtual-desktops/GUID-488FF47B-96F4-4F28-83...

Topic Name : Activating Windows on Instant Clones and View Composer Linked Clones

Publication Name : Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon 7

Product/Version : VMware Horizon 7/7.5

Question :

Is Microsoft KMS License supported when using QuickPrep or Instant Clone ??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm using KMS with instant and linked clones now and the count is going up for us, we recently switched to activate directly based activation and that has been working as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ahmad090, This very subject was brought up at PTAB.  VMware's response was this is a known issue with Instant clones and linked clones. They did not give a time frame for a fix.  

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm using KMS with instant and linked clones now and the count is going up for us, we recently switched to activate directly based activation and that has been working as well.

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Need some help with the Office 2010 activation on a Horizon 7.8 Farm.  We are using Instant clones and everything has been fine with Office 2010 on the desktops until yesterday.  We are now suddenly getting the Office activation box when opening Office on the virtual desktops; I am a little confused as to why this suddenly started and how to fix it permanently.  We ARE using KMS activation.

sjesse I see in this post that you recently switched to activate directly based activation...what does that mean?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This looks like it is activation for Windows 10 not Office 2010. 

Looking to resolve an issue with Office 2010 activation on Horizon 7.8 instant clone desktops.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Its the same thing, but I doubt it works with office 10, pretty sure its only office 2016, You have limited options unfortunately with 9 year old software

Activate volume licensed versions of Office by using Active Directory | Microsoft Docs

0 Kudos