VMware Cloud Community
eric_silberberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reporting on VM powered off duration. Where to set thresholds?

I see 2 places to adjust powered off duration for idle vm analysis under 6.7

1. The settings wheel on the reclaim page under Optimize Capacity. This was discussed in Powered-Off Duration

(BTW I wholeheartedly like the feature request suggested to create as an independent metric.)

2. I also see it as an alerts threshold under Administration...Policies...Default Policy...(Edit Monitoring Policy) Section 6 Alert/Symptom Definitions "Virtual Machine is powered off."

The metric description in https://docs.vmware.com/en/vRealize-Operations-Manager/6.7/vrealize-operations-manager-67-reference-...

What is the difference between these two settings? Is the value in the policy what is used for the stock view 'Powered off Virtual Machine List?' I see historical documentation stating the default is 30 days but it now shows as 0. Is this part of the change in the new 6.7 "Capacity Engine?"

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eric_silberberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried changing the value in the default policy from 0 to 30 days and the data generated from the "Optimization Report - Powered Off Virtual Machines" didn't change at all.

0 Kudos
sxnxr
Commander
Commander

I could be wrong on this as i have not tested it but i think all the settings wheel does is allow you to change the policy with out having to move from your current page. It also only shows you the setting for the section you are on so you dont have to dig into the policy to find it

0 Kudos