VMware Cloud Community
gofa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,which is the best way to migrate vm ?

Hi,

which is the best way to migrate vm from a node esxi free 4.1 to a new node esxi 6.0u3 without vcenter server and without common storage?

Is it possible to use unsupported vcenter converter standalone 6.1.1?

Is it possible to use os commands with ssh console?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HassanAlKak88
Expert
Expert

In similar cases, I prefer to use a replication software (like Veeam Backup and Replication) and Start a Planned Fail over between 4.1 and 6.0.

Else, Try backup from 4.1 then restore to 6.0.

Otherwise, follow the below:

- Shut down VM on the old host

- Download vmdk from the old Datastore

- Upload the vmdk on the new Datastore

- Create new VM and add an existing HDD pointing to the above vmdk

- Start VM

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly.

Cheers,

VCIX6-NV|VCP-NV|VCP-DC|

If my reply was helpful, I kindly ask you to like it and mark it as a solution

Regards,
Hassan Alkak
0 Kudos
NasserAlodyhani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Gova,

You will not be able to migrate VM (Hot migration) without vCenter and shared storage.

Using unsupported vCenter converter standalone 6.1.1? don't use the Converter to get from 4.1 to 6. it's deathly slow and unclean.

Use export to OVF/OVA appliance from 4.1 and import it to 5.1 then do the same to jump to 6.0u3

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

While I've not done that large of an upgrade jump, you MIGHT be able to pull down the VMDK and VMX file and then upload it to the new host. Or upload it to the new host with the mid-step version before updating that node to the final version you want to go to.

Keep in mind, going from that ancient a release to something newer could give you fits. As such, I would be sure to leave the original host alive until you're 100% certain everything is kosher on the new host. I also hope you're planning to update the 6u3 host to a newer release soon. Going to 5.5 (from 4.1) means you could also jump to 6.5u2 or 6.5u1 directly. IF your new host has processors that are not on the 'unsupported' list for 6.7 you could then make that jump (once u1 is released).

Is this a lab setup or production?? Either way, you need to plan some down time for the VMs living on that old host.

0 Kudos
khaliqamar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think the best is to download the whole folder with the help of  "WINSCP" ( Freeware) and then add it to 6.0 environment.

once you have all your files on 6.0 then you can add anywhere you want. 

0 Kudos
gofa
Contributor
Contributor

If i use winscp(or veeam fastscp?) for download the folder, after the upload on the new server

is neccessary to execute vmkfstools -i on vmdk file?Is compatible to mantain on esxi 6.0 the vmware tools 5.5

The problems is that i need to expand storage,reformatting the old vmfs (4.1) node and reinstalling new esxi version(max 5.5u3 compatibility matrix)

and after all rimigrate vm from esxi 6.0(temporary host for migration) to esxi 5.5

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please note that any non native copy tools will likely inflate thin provisioned virtual disks to their full size on the target datastore.

What I've used in the past to migrate VMs directly from host to host is https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/06/how-to-copy-vms-directly-between-esxi.html.

André

0 Kudos