Note1: We use Instant clone. Horizon View 7.4 & vCenter 6.5
Note2: We had something similar a few weeks ago. During a firewall upgrade, both vCenters of our 2 VDI environment had a network downtime and put the VDI infra in a weird state. We had to reboot all the connection servers and vCenter servers to bring it back to normal.
Now, after a network wobble over the weekend, our monitoring picked up a downtime of around 5 minutes on the vCenter of our VDI environment, in a normal environment you would see host disconnect/reconnect, nothing too bad. I expected Horizon View to be resilient enough to survive such a small issue.
I remembered what happened the last time so I went to check and there it is, same issue as last time ...
The issue is rather weird, there is connectivity between the CS and vCenter but it seems "some" things don't work.
- Users will be able to log in as long as there are available desktops.
- When they log off, the VM is deleting from vCenter but not in Horizon View.
- The desktop goes in error state with the following status.
25-Jun-2018 09:09:10 CEST: Failed to delete VM - Caught exception deleting VM XXXXXXX. Timed out waiting for operation to complete. Total time waited 5 mins
Pairing state:In pairing...
Configured by:<connection server #1> <connection server #2> ...
Attempted theft by:
- After that in the events there is a "Provisioning error occurred for Machine XXXXXX: Unable to remove Machine from inventory" and they are filled with
Automatic error recovery for Pool YYYYYY: attempting recovery for Machine XXXXXXX
Which of course does not succeed. I could clean it with viewdbcheck but it won't actually solve anything so it's no use.
- No new desktop can be created. Meaning it is a slow death as users sign out until there is no more desktop available (until I reboot everything).
The creation of a new pool also fails.
As you can imagine having a network wobble break the VDI infra and having to restart everything is not sustainable for production especially as more and more users use it.
I'm new to Horizon View so any idea will be greatly appreciated.