VMware Cloud Community
jclef23
Contributor
Contributor

How Do I Install VMware-Converter in Ubuntu 18.04-LTS

Hello.  I am trying to install VMware Converter in Ubuntu 18.04-LTS.  I have no idea how to do this.  Install documentation for the operating system or just linux in general is virtually non-existent.  I read the current documentation and looks like I can only install this latest version in Windows, however there is an open source download available.  Can someone please help?  I downloaded the latest file.  The name of the file is VMware-converter-6.2.0-7348398.odp, of which I extracted all the way to VMware-converter-6.2.0-7348398.odp.tar, a tar file.  In general, I just want VMware Converter installed on my linux operating system.  Any help or guides\documentation would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is no Linux based Converter see VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 6.2.0.1 Release Notes

From the other hand you can convert live Linux to VC/ESX from installed Converter.

However per Supported Operating Systems  you can't convert Ubuntu 18.x.

HTH

0 Kudos
jclef23
Contributor
Contributor

I read something to the effect of what platforms the converter software could be installed on previous to your response with the release notes.  They were all Windows.  Looks like you helped confirm that the latest version is not for Linux.  Still don't understand why the VMware folks put an opensource file of the latest version in the downloads section, of which if you extract it, you ultimately get a odp.tar file.  I can always install an older version that I have used before in Ubuntu and see if it works.  Thanks again for your response.

0 Kudos
POCEH
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You found files that are related to Linux conversions. They are not Converter for Linux.

You can install Converter under Windows and try Linux conversion however Ubuntu 18 is not supported source.

Regards

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The ODP tarball is for open source components used by Converter. Converter itself is not open source (and doesn't have Linux installation since v.4.0.1)

0 Kudos
jclef23
Contributor
Contributor

Understood and .  I still  have a copy of that old version linux file you mentioned Plamen.   Well, I guess I'll have to install the software in Windows.  I have a dual boot setup so I'll still be ok.  Thanks for both of your responses.

0 Kudos