VMware Cloud Community
HenryCarnauba
Contributor
Contributor

Trying to build from OVA with included ISO

VMware ESXi 5.5: I'm trying to build an OVA with a small included ISO file.  I WANT to keep this ISO in the build (googling for a solution on this has returned numerous threads on how to remove the ISO from the OVA, I'm not interested in this).  I DID check the box to include image files when I exported the VM to OVA.  When I try to deploy a new VM from the OVA, it says it can't find the ISO file.  If I extract the OVA, I can see the ISO file, with the same name as the one it is saying does not exist.  Initially the ISO image file was in the same folder as the VM.  Is this a bug in 5.5?  Do I need to upgrade?  Am I doing something wrong?  Seems like if they give you the option to include ISOs, it should work...

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

HenryCarnauba,

please check if this thread will help You Failed to deploy OVA

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
HenryCarnauba
Contributor
Contributor

This thread is directing me to remove references to the ISO on the OVF file.  As I originally stated, to try and head off these types of responses, I need to keep the ISO in the VM build.  The correct ISO is in the OVA, there should be no issue copying it to the ESXi server, just like it copies the vmdk. 

0 Kudos
HenryCarnauba
Contributor
Contributor

Update, though not a real solution: If I extract the OVA, and deploy based on the OVF, without modifying anything in the OVA, it works, the ISO is part of the VM, and the machine boots up and finds it.  Curious why it wouldn't work from the OVA directly...

0 Kudos