VMware Cloud Community
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Upgrade 6.0 VCSA w/external PSCs to 6.7

What pitfalls will I encounter by upgrading my 6.0 VCSA w/external PSCs environment to 6.7?

Can I leave my 6.0U3 esxi hosts at 6.0U3, or do I have to upgrade them to 6.7?

I currently have 7 hosts (esxi 6.0U3), a VCSA (Build number 4823866), and 2 external PSCs (Build number 4823866). The vShpere Web Client is Version 6.0.0 Build 6855238.

I am building 6 new hosts with esxi 6.7, and plan to migrate all our VMs from the 6.0U3 stack to the 6.7 stack. (Then I'll wipe the 6.0U3 stack clean, rebuild all the disk groups (since I messed them up when I first built it and have had capacity and congestion issues ever since), update those hosts to esxi 6.7, and use that stack for DR.)

I *think* my best course of action is to update my current VCSA environment to 6.7 and add the new hosts to the cluster; that way I can simply vmotion the VMs to the shiny new hosts, rather than mess with replicating and failing over.

Is this reasonable? What pitfalls will I encounter?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Update the PSCs first, followed by vCenter. vCenter 6.7 can manage ESXi 6.0U3.

After that you can add the new ESXi 6.7 hosts and vMotion the VMs from the older 6.0 U3 hosts.

Update sequence for vSphere 6.7 and its compatible VMware products

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/53710

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

BHagenSPI​,

please confirm You saw this films:

vSphere 6.7 - Upgrade Preparation - YouTube

vSphere 6.7 - Upgrading to vSphere 6.7 - YouTube

They explain the nuances pretty simply.

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
MartinGustafsso
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi,

Update the PSCs first, followed by vCenter. vCenter 6.7 can manage ESXi 6.0U3.

After that you can add the new ESXi 6.7 hosts and vMotion the VMs from the older 6.0 U3 hosts.

Update sequence for vSphere 6.7 and its compatible VMware products

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/53710

0 Kudos
BHagenSPI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hadn't seen that KB; very nice. Interesting that vsan is the very last link in the chain to be upgraded.

Thanks!

0 Kudos