Computer Name: saturn

Windows 10 (Version 1709)

VMware® Workstation 14 Pro 14.1.2 build-8497320

network share: satshare1

VM:

Computer Name: xenon

openSUSE Leap 42.2

Network: NAT

I had no problems accessing the network share 'satshare1' from within the VM 'xenon'. Read and write to and from the share worked without any issue. But out of the blue I am not able to access the network share. I get the error message 'timeout on server saturn'. Even trying to re-mount the network share failed. I can access network shares (e.g. groupdata) from our NAS from within the VM. So generally the network access is working well from the VM.

I did some tests with another PC (real hardware) 'neptun' running Windows 7. From this PC I am able to connect to the share 'satshare1'.

The problem might be caused by software updates on my host system. I switched of the firewall on the host, same issue.

Any hints or ideas how to go on would be helpful.

Thanks for your attention,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was an issue related to samba and windows 10, not with vmware workstation.

I found a useful hint:

https://superuser.com/questions/1273456/windows-10-share-not-accessible-from-ubuntu-16-04-lts 

You have to add some settings in the samba configuration file.

File smb.conf:

[global]

client min protocol = SMB2

client max protocol = SMB3

I tested it for several linux distributions. It works for ubuntu 16, centos 7, leap42.2, leap42.3.

Michael

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using hostname or IP address to reach the network share? We can rule out a DNS issue first.

0 Kudos
mg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, same behaviour.

In the meantime I did another test. I tried to get the share on my Win10 computer from another Linux machine. Same issue.

There might be a problem related to samba and the win10 share. Maybe after some updates of Win10.

Michael

0 Kudos
mg65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It was an issue related to samba and windows 10, not with vmware workstation.

I found a useful hint:

https://superuser.com/questions/1273456/windows-10-share-not-accessible-from-ubuntu-16-04-lts 

You have to add some settings in the samba configuration file.

File smb.conf:

[global]

client min protocol = SMB2

client max protocol = SMB3

I tested it for several linux distributions. It works for ubuntu 16, centos 7, leap42.2, leap42.3.

Michael

0 Kudos