VMware Cloud Community
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.7 with TPM 1.2

Hey all,

With introduction of vSphere 6.7 as you all know VMware added TPM 2.0 support and states that all new security features use the 2.0 module.  I can't seem to find anything stating the features that aren't supported on the existing TPM 1.2 module.  I'd like to get an idea of how current implementations of TPM 1.2 would be impacted post upgrade or even fresh install to servers with TPM 1.2 modules.  mikefoley​  I saw your blog post but is there another doc or post that goes deeper into this?  TIA everyone!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

None of the new features work with TPM 1.2. As stated, 2.0 is NOT backwards compatible to 1.2. They are two totally different devices.

A new or current install of 6.7 on a server with 1.2 will work the same as 6.5. You just won’t be able to take advantage if the new features. If you are using HyTrust then it will continue to work. I think we added something to 1.2 for them but beyond that, No change

mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

None of the new features work with TPM 1.2. As stated, 2.0 is NOT backwards compatible to 1.2. They are two totally different devices.

A new or current install of 6.7 on a server with 1.2 will work the same as 6.5. You just won’t be able to take advantage if the new features. If you are using HyTrust then it will continue to work. I think we added something to 1.2 for them but beyond that, No change

mike

0 Kudos
barnette08
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification Mike!

0 Kudos