VMware {code} Community
Occidius
Contributor
Contributor

Accessing Workstation 14 using the vSphere 6.5 Client SDK

I asked this over in the Workstation forum and realized it may be better answered here...

I have a stand alone client that I wrote that accesses a workstation and performs various actions on the VM (start/stop, copy file, execute program) using the VIX implementation.  Recently, I was asked to transition the VIX implementation over to a vSphere 6.5 SDK implementation.  I'm able to handle the power operations just fine, but I can't get any of the guest operations to work using the vSphere Client SDK 6.5.  All of the examples I've found say to get the guestOperationsManager managed object reference.  However, when I attempt to do that, it comes back null and there isn't a way to create one that I've found.

Are there things missing in Workstation that exist in vSphere?  Is what they are asking for even possible?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
tganchev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Occidius,

This question is better suited for the vSphere Web Services SDK forum - https://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/forums/managementapi/content?filterID=contentstat...

Can you post a sample code of how you obtain the GuestOperationsManager?

Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

VIX API is gone in vSphere 6.5 while it exists in Workstation. There are two separate systems for how to interact with guest OSs in these two products.

0 Kudos