VMware Cloud Community
Bruticusmaximus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmotion VM with RDMs fails with disk not found

I tried to migrate a VM with RDMs to a new host and get errors like "Disk 8 not found, disk 10 not found, etc".  These are Cisco UCS blades using the same profiles.  The storage on the back end seems to be zoned correctly.  If I look on the storage adapter of both hosts, they seem to show the same devices. I'm not sure if what shows up as devices on the HBA include the RDMs or, are they just the regular VMFS volumes?  Is there a way to tell?

From the command line on a host, is there a way to display the RDMs that are zoned to that host?  I know I can see them on the source host but, is there a way to see them on the destiation host before doing a Vmotion?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jnielsen7
Contributor
Contributor

You're not doing anything that would involve toggling the Physical/Virtual settings on the RDM volume are you? Though this seems to be more for a conversion process to VMDK I just ran across this this morning: Converting RDMs to VMFS - Envision Technology Advisors' blog

Probably best to let someone else who actually uses RDM chime in though, since I've not dealt with it myself. Sounds like you're dealing with more of a hardware problem, but wanted to rule out any VM-level changes that may be necessary first.

P.S. Just a shot in the dark, but just in case you've never done and RDM migration before, have you looked for a video tutorial or other documentation online just to give you a sanity check that you are following all the correct steps and in the correct order?

-Josh

0 Kudos