VMware Communities
dave5445543
Contributor
Contributor

Slow VMWare Workstation 14 Performance

Hi guys,

I'm trying to virtualize windows 7 ultimate 64 bit SP1 inside of windows 10 64 bit (whatever g-d forsaken latest edition there is given the automatic updates I can't easily forgo).

I'm finding there is a lot of screen redraw (particularly obvious in the context of flipping between excel tabs) and overall sluggishness despite no resources being obviously taxed (as visible on the host and guest via process explorer).

The host is pretty powerful - a modern i7 with 16 gb of ram on an SSD and I've allocated tons of hd space, 8 gigs of ram, 1 gig of memory for video (I only use this for office work, no games - I doubt this matters but I'm running some office 2003 apps in the VM; win 10 doesn't like office 2003 whereas native win 7 never had an issue with them).

I'm running workstation 14.0.

Perhaps it was better before a recent windows 10 update on the host though I'm not sure?

--> Is there some cause of screen redraw which wouldn't present itself as taxing system resources?

--> Am I just asking for too much in a VM for it to feel like a native machine?

--> and least importantly, I suppose, am I alone in hating windows 10?

Thanks guys,

Dave

0 Kudos
2 Replies
qwerty54321
Contributor
Contributor

hey man, i dont know if this will help you but, i was having problems with vmware. i disabled 3d acceleration in the options and it wasnt slow anymore. i did this because i noticed virtualbox didnt have it enabled so i decided to give it a try.

CiscoCowKiller
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!  That fixed my slow Excel issues.

0 Kudos