VMware Cloud Community
santoshc123
Contributor
Contributor

Unsupported value '16' for element 'VirtualQuantity'

Hello,

I am unable to get a 16 cores vCPU created using ovftool.  I am manually creating the OVF file and have specified the following:

<rasd:VirtualQuantity>16</rasd:VirtualQuantity>

However, when I deploy using ovftool I get the following error.

Error:
 - Line 121: Unsupported value '16' for element 'VirtualQuantity'.
 - Virtual machine has 16 virtual CPUs, but the host only supports 8. The number of virtual CPUs may be limited by the guest OS selected for the virtual machine or by the licensing for the host.
Completed with errorsError:
 - Virtual machine has 16 virtual CPUs, but the host only supports 8. The number of virtual CPUs may be limited by the guest OS selected for the virtual machine or by the licensing for the host.
Completed with errors-

-----------

Error:

Completed with errors

----------

It works only with value of 8 and less for VirtualQuantity.

Note that I am able to create 16 CPU VMs from vSphere client using ISO files.  It's just using the OVA files that creating 16 CPU VMs is not working.

The host is licensed.

Any ideas what could be going wrong / what I can do to overcome this error?

thanks,

Santosh

0 Kudos
1 Reply
santoshc123
Contributor
Contributor

the issue was the hardware compatibility version in the OVF file. It was set to ESX 4.x compatible and hence did not support higher number of vCPUs. Once we changed it to be 5.0 compatible we can set the CPUs to 16 (up to 32)

0 Kudos