VMware Horizon Community
nealus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mouse performance in Horizon 7.x using 4K panels

Hi,

I've been working with Horizon virtualisation for a while now and over the past few months more and more clients we work with are looking into 4K panels.  I notice that using mid-range resolutions such as 1920x1200 and even 2560x1600 we see a fairly performant desktop, certainly with regard to mouse responsiveness.  However, upping resolution to 4K, the mouse performance degrades.  The responsiveness is the problem, where you feel you are dragging the mouse/window rather than pushing it.  I can't measure the lag, but the instant response is not there.  This occurs irrespective of protocol (PCoIP, Blast) and is linked to higher resolutions.  We see this will vGPU accelerated and standard desktops - there is no load on the CPU host-side, and the network bandwidth is practically idle - it just appears to be a general lag.  Endpoints are a mix of Intel NUC, PCoIP Tera 2 zero clients, Windows 10 laptops, HP/Zotac/Dell thin clients.

It makes sense that there is more pixels to cross for the same mouse/hand movement with 4K compared to UHD, but I having looked at the mouse options, such as increasing the speed of the cursor, this doesn't translate when moving window, etc.

I've also tried this on a 30Hz and 60Hz panel with the same results.  Does anyone else feel this or have any options that could improve the feel?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vols2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We also use instant clones with win 10, VM hardware of 2 vCPU"s ,4 GB RAM &1600 x 1200 display resolution and some of our users are also reporting the same issue. Does anyone know why this is happening. Is it a resolution problem or something to do with the hardware settings on the VM.

0 Kudos
nealus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any tips on improving this issue?

0 Kudos