VMware Horizon Community
pslaughter
Contributor
Contributor

Should the vCSA, HView and Composer servers be in the same cluster?

We running 1 - vCSA 6.0, 2 - HView 7.0.3 with 1 - composer. Linked-Clone environment running roughly 850 Windows 7 VDI. I have 3 clusters, 6 host in the Intel Cluster, 6 host in the AMD cluster and 2 host in the corp cluster. I currently have the vCSA, one of the View servers, the Composer Server, NSX Server and Update Manager Server all running on the corp cluster. The hosts in the corp cluster are old AMD Opteron Gen 3 processors No hyperthreading. I want to move all of the VMware servers to the Intel cluster with the VDI's. All of the host in the Intel Cluster are using roughly 20% of there total CPU usage and roughly 60% of the memory.

I just want to make sure that I am not going to run into a problem moving these servers. Any known issues with migrating from AMD to Intel Processors, I am aware that I cannot live migrate them do to the different architectures. Also will this cause any potential problems with the servers communicating with each other while they exist in 2 clusters. All clusters have the same access to the storage and network.

Thank you,

Pete Slaughter

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've done some AMD->Intel migrations in the past, and didn't have any issues.

André

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is nothing wrong with doing this and your Horizon licenses allow for you to run any of the VMs necessary for the infrastructure of Horizon (vCenter/Connection Servers/Composer/UAG/etc...). For a larger environment it's ideal to move the infrastructure to a management/server cluster.

0 Kudos
Mark808
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you do run the management servers in the same cluster as user VMs, be sure to prioritize the processing of those management VMs.  If you don't, than you will have issues when your cluster runs into resource contention, like during the spin up of multiple VMs.

0 Kudos