VMware Networking Community
Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor

NSX 6.4.X API - JSON

Hello,

We are trying to automate NSX through API and we want to use JSON format in API request body. (xml is a no go with our devs)

No problem with NSX 6.4.X in theory.

But the big issue is that VMware documentation is XML only...

I can't find any example of JSON

So, expect trying to guess / reverse engineer what is the correct syntax for the json based on the answer of a GET, I don't know what we can do...

(And so far, no luck)

Is there a way to extract the info?

Does someone has some JSON examples for th eAPI requests ?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
smitmartijn
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

NSX-v 6.4 is the first version to officially support JSON as a format (it worked before, but not supported) and documentation is still lacking (read: there is none). There are some scarce examples, but they are still working on a usable guide.

I'm a bit confused on why it would be a no-go though, as the only thing different is the last parser when sending a request (to convert a request to XML) or the first parser when getting a result (to translate from XML to usable code). The format should be interchangeable for developers.

NSX-T is a different story though; that is full on JSON (and even only JSON, I think). If you can get away with using NSX-T already, that would solve the issue in it's entirety.

0 Kudos
Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor

For the moment, NSX-T is not an option.

As for XML, our princesses devs don't want to have code mixing xml and json (our product that will be interacting with NSX is full json), we have too few dev time available to do a first version in xml then another one in json, etc. I don't want to fight them on that point.

NSX-V 6.4.0 is out since 01/16/2018. We could have hoped that the documentation would be ready by now...

0 Kudos
Grrmmll
Contributor
Contributor

In the end, after discussing with GSS, we will open a feature request for documentation through our TAM.

:smileyconfused:

I can't understand why producing a full documentation for a product is a feature request...

0 Kudos
Rick_Star
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Grrmmll Hey Mate,

can you get back to me directly?

I have a question for you but can't send you a PM.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick Hoffmann
Cloud Customer Success Architect - VMware Cloud
VMware Inc.
http://cloudsuccess.blog
0 Kudos