VMware Horizon Community
Madz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Jerky Windows desktop effects with Horizon Client

I am testing several VM configurations and viewers and noticing that the Horizon Client results in subtle but clearly noticeable jerky animation of Win 7 aero desktop effects - most noticeable is the window fade on minimise/maximise transition although in general the user experience feels somewhat sluggish and jerky.

Initially I thought this was due to software rendering of the desktop 3d effects using the svga adapter without a GPU in the host. However I'm noticing this even with a GRID K2 added to the host and running in both vSGA and vGPU configurations.

I also see the same when comparing a locally hosted fusion VM, using fusion as the viewer vs using Horizon View and direct connection plugin on the same VM.

Does everyone else experience the same? Is this normal and to be expected for some reason or is there something I need to adjust in my configuration?

I have tried ensuring the guest VM has a vmxnet3 network adapter and FastSendDatagramThreshold=1500. Can anyone offer other suggestions or an approach for troubleshooting this?

I can turn off aero effects, but then I might as well use RDP - the whole reason I'm using Horizon is to get a 3d accelerated desktop.

(I'm using Horizon Client 4.7 on OSX, 1680 x 1050 resolution 22" monitor, latest VMWare Tools SVGA driver 8.15.1.50)

0 Kudos
0 Replies