VMware Communities
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor

[VMWare Tools] Suppress "You must restart your computer to apply these changes"

I'm creating custom Windows 7 images and part of this involves me silently installing VMWare Tools using the following command: "%WINDIR%\Setup\Files\VMWareTools.exe" /s /v "/qn reboot=r"

I have also tried "%WINDIR%\Setup\Files\VMWareTools.exe" /s /v "/qn reboot=ReallySuppress"

Both commands work in terms of installing VMWare Tools silently; however, I am still receiving a prompt saying "You must restart your computer to apply these changes."

Is it possible to completely suppress this message? It's interfering with some other tasks I want to carry out with the custom image after install is completed. I understand that it will still be necessary to restart, but since I plan to automate that at the proper time, I do not want this message to appear.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have any recommendations? This is a serious issue for my development process and I would be very appreciative if someone could offer a suggestion.

0 Kudos
frodo
Community Manager
Community Manager

The properties passing into the installer are just MS standards one (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa370905%28v=VS.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=...) Be aware that the properities should be case sensitive and could you try with "REBOOT=R"?

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

I guess the parameters are case sensitive. I am using

REBOOT=ReallySuppress

and it works for me.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor

My script is running during the Post-Setup process (after Windows is installed but before the user is shown their desktop for the first time.

The command from my last attempt looks like this: "%WINDIR%\Setup\Files\VMWareTools.exe" /s /v "/qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress"

When the desktop is shown for the first time I get this:

vmware_2018-06-01_07-52-02.png

If I restart, then uninstall VMWare Tools, restart again, then run the command again it runs correctly and does not give me that message.

qualityTesting
peetz

0 Kudos
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still encountering this issue. Can anyone help provide me with a solution that works in the aforementioned scenario?

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

... It's interfering with some other tasks I want to carry out with the custom image after install is completed. I understand that it will still be necessary to restart, but since I plan to automate that at the proper time, I do not want this message to appear.

Is there any reason why VMware Tools can't be installed after the 'some other tasks'? If the installation of VMware Tools is the last thing done and a reboot is going to be done anyway ...

0 Kudos
TrentThomas
Contributor
Contributor

I've come to find that because of the setup, there is no way to do what I was asking. I used what you said as an idea and configured VMWare Tools to install during the OS install, and then on first logon, reboot after 3 seconds to apply changes, then initiate the post-install setup tasks.

0 Kudos
chong67
Contributor
Contributor

I google and found your thread.

I am installing from Windows, not DOS.

I ran the CCleaner and clean the register and after that, I can install again and didnt see this pop up.

My 2 cents.

0 Kudos