VMware Cloud Community
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Failed: Virtualizing my Windows 10 machine - VM Standalone converter fails at 98%

Hi Everyone!

Would like to seek out help from experts out here Smiley Happy

I'm trying to virtualize my Windows 10 machine and doing a "Convert Machine" Procedure on the VMWare Standalone Converter gives me an erro at 98%. Smiley Sad

I've attached the logs here for reference.

Thank you in advance guys!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Devi94

No I Haven't, it seems the KB is not applicable to what I'm having right now.

Update: I was able to make it work using a different procedure.

converted it to vhd first then converted it into a vmdk then attached it to a vm Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Please look at this KB article.. From logs i can see you are running into same issue..

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've seen this already, although im a bit confused since step 1 is asking me to import the vm already even though its not succesful in conversion? Can you please enlighten me.

Thank you!

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As it is failing at 98% the copy of VM should be available in Vcenter. Only reconfiguration task is failing. so you can be able to perform mentioned steps from vcenter.

chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, so you mean I need to transfer it to vCenter? I only have esxi as of the moment, will that work also?

The VM is not booting up.

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So here is what i mean

I) when you initiate the conversion you will be entering esxi as target.

2) even though it fails at 98%, if you connect to esxi host you will be able to see the VM which you converted.

3) Converter finished copying all your files and it is failing to reconfigure a VM.

4) now, connect to your esxi host and follow the KB article.

Hope this helps.

chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can connect to the esxi host through here?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In Select destination type you need to choose vmware infrastructure virtual machine, and then enter esxi name and root credentials. you should have port communications enabled as pre-requisite. Please refer VMware Knowledge Base  for the same.

chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ooh shoot! Silly me, thank you for that! I'm trying that step now. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

okay, I've just finished the conversion though still coming up with errors Smiley Happy

here's the logs if anyone can help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

So now can you see your VM in ESXi host ?

I could see Conversion completed and reconfiguration failed.

o] Got an error getting MNTAPI OS information

2018-05-25T17:57:39.033+10:00 error vmware-converter-worker[17080] [Originator@6876 sub=task-33] [BaseDiskSetComputer::AnalyzeErrorAndThrow] Error occurred when opening disk set, MNTAPI_ERROR = 176 MNTAPI errorType = 0, errorCode = 11

2018-05-25T17:57:39.033+10:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[17080] [Originator@6876 sub=task-33] [PopulateDetailedOsInfo] Failed to get MNTAPI OS version information: Volume handle is not found.

2018-05-25T17:57:39.033+10:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[17080] [Originator@6876 sub=task-33] [PopulateDetailedOsInfo] Failed to get MNTAPI system volume: 176 (type = 0, code=11)

2018-05-25T17:57:39.033+10:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[17080] [Originator@6876 sub=task-33] [PopulateDetailedOsInfo] Failed to get MNTAPI active volume: 176 (type = 0, code=11)

2018-05-25T17:57:39.033+10:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[17080] [Originator@6876 sub=task-33] [PopulateVolumeMountPoints] Failed to get mountpoints for volume 44=494?4:39444:39*2)23?.=30*83>4;*>.:11,;1>,4562: 176 (type = 0, code=11)

If you can able to see your VM, go ahead and apply the fix which mentioned in KB.

0 Kudos
chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Devi94

Yes I can already see the VM in there, although upon booting up, its showing like this

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi chocomart​,

Did you apply fix mentioned in KB article post conversion ?

chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Devi94

No I Haven't, it seems the KB is not applicable to what I'm having right now.

Update: I was able to make it work using a different procedure.

converted it to vhd first then converted it into a vmdk then attached it to a vm Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Devi94
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Its good to hear you were able to make it finally..

chocomart
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks so much for your help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos