VMware Communities
fairfax_va
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Question

Issue: Unable to ping into VMWare instances on Windows 10 from Linux boxes on private network

Setup : VMWare Workstation Pro on Windows 10 with two Hadoop sandboxes running (Linux OS) concurrently ; 2 Linux CentOS boxes on private network - so all in all 3 machines networked via router.

Note : Windows 10 has McAffee running but all below tests were done with Firewall OFF and ON.

Networking:  I am able to ping/ssh from all boxes to all other boxes (Windows to both Linux, Windows to VMWare, Linux to Linux, and VMWare to both Linux) except Linux to VMWare. I can ping/ssh just fine into the 2 Linux boxes from the VMWare sandboxes (and from one sandbox to the other if VM Network Settings are set to NAT).

I tried VM Network Adapter settings with 'Bridged' and 'NAT' but I have no success to ping/ssh from the Linux boxes into the VMWare sandboxes. Again Windows Firewall is controlled by McAffee and I turned that OFF while trying this out.

Any help or links to documentation for this case is appreciated (and I am not a networking guru...)

Thank you very much!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

First make sure that your VMware Hadoop sandboxes configured in bridged mode, power on them and check that if the windows10's physical adatper works in promiscuousMode. You can execute the powershell command “Get-NetAdapter | Format-List -Property PromiscuousMode” on host to check the adapter's promiscuousMode

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

First make sure that your VMware Hadoop sandboxes configured in bridged mode, power on them and check that if the windows10's physical adatper works in promiscuousMode. You can execute the powershell command “Get-NetAdapter | Format-List -Property PromiscuousMode” on host to check the adapter's promiscuousMode

0 Kudos
fairfax_va
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

This now works. There were three network adapters - one had PromiscuousMode ON, but the other two virtual ones by VMWare were OFF.

I changed the setting of the images to 'BRIDGED'. I then powered the VMWare host down. I disabled the VMWare network adpaters in Windows.

Then I changed the VMX files for both machines by adding "ethernet%d.noPromisc = "false".

I enabled the two virtual VMWare network adapters in Windows again and restarted the VMWare host and the two Horton machines which were now assigned IP addresses conform with my usual IP mask of 192.168.1.### rather than the previous 192.168.123.###.

The machines can now be reached from the Linux boxes and all other functionality is working as before.

Interestingly, the Windows PowerShell command >Get-NetAdapter | Format-List -Property PromiscuousMode still shows FALSE for the two virtual adapters by VMWare - however without turning them off and back on this did not work as described above, so that step was vital even though the PowerShell shows no change.

I am not sure if all of the above steps were necessary or not but this worked and I mention them for other users running into this issue.

Thank you 'yanw' for your reply and help. I very much appreciate it.

0 Kudos