VMware Communities
Hend0
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Workstation 14.1.2 not working

Apologies PeteM92, not a reply but a continuation on your general theme.... after similarly upgrading to Workstation Pro 14.1.2, none of my virtual machines will start either.

The error message I get is shown below.  This is for all guest workloads.

pastedImage_0.png

I had a quick look through the communities but cannot find anything similar that can lead me toward a solution -other than reinstalling version 14, which kind if defeats the object of an upgrade!!

4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Branched discussion to new thread. Please don't hijack another user's questions with your own, and instead start a new thread so we can effectively help.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Looks like your upgrade failed.
During any upgrade the previous version will be uninstalled. This failed in your case.
So the next step is to uninstall the current version.
Then reboot the host and check wether you still have the file vmx86.sys in the drivers directory.
If you still have that file - delete it and also remove any reference to vmx86.sys from the registry.
When that is done - reboot again and  install the new version.
By the way - that is also the recommended procedure if you ask any longterm Workstation-users.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Normally I would suggest uninstall - reboot - install again, however your screenshot has something weird.

The error has a prefix "Virtual_nGeniusOne_60" which is not part of VMware AFAIK, at least I have never heard about VMware having added that.

So it looks like your nGeniusOne software is interfering with the update.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I've seen this a couple of times now, and what usually fixed the issue was to run the installer again (run as Administrator) and do a "Repair".

This seems to properly replace the mentioned driver (after another reboot).

André