VMware Communities
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation [14.x after recent update] failed to start the VMWare Authorization Service

I just updated to v14.x most recent update and, upon a reboot of my Win10 Pro 64bit OS, I'm getting the message that VMWare Workstation has failed to start the VMWare Authorization Service.  WHen I attempt to start the service I'm unable to get it started [Error Code 6000009].

What should I do?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally was able to get into my VM machines.

1) Turned off Webroot which was off during the initial update also

2) Via Win10Pro's Control Panel I went in and selected Change for the VMWare application

3) Followed the 'bouncing ball' and then when completed (took a while..maybe 5++ minutes) I received the notice to reboot

4) Rebooted and things worked fine.

Hope this helps others.

I am using Workstation 14.1.x with the most recent update as of May 23, 2018 and all MS updates including the MS Win10Pro most recent update.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
total1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I finally was able to get into my VM machines.

1) Turned off Webroot which was off during the initial update also

2) Via Win10Pro's Control Panel I went in and selected Change for the VMWare application

3) Followed the 'bouncing ball' and then when completed (took a while..maybe 5++ minutes) I received the notice to reboot

4) Rebooted and things worked fine.

Hope this helps others.

I am using Workstation 14.1.x with the most recent update as of May 23, 2018 and all MS updates including the MS Win10Pro most recent update.

0 Kudos
eeeehaw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is an INCOMPLETE answer.  Here's additional info for others to clarify and accomplish this fix successfully:

The following assumes that you have already downloaded the latest version of VMware Workstation 14, Updated, attempted to start a virtual machine and witnessed the "failed to start VMware Authorization Service" error message.

(1) Open Windows 10 Control Panel (type "control panel" in search field and select).

(2) In Control Panel, select "Programs and Features".

(3) In Programs and Features, highlight "VMware Workstation" in the list of programs (notice date of that item, which should correspond to date you attempted the download/upgrade)

(4) Select "Change" item/button.

(5) When the VMware installer opens, select "Repair" button (NOT 'Change').

(6) After repair installation completes, Restart your Win10 computer.

Problem should now be resolved.