VMware Communities
norricorp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mouse clicks not being received

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a VMWare Player problem (Player 12) or an operating system.

I am running Linux Mint 17.3 guest in a VM on windows 10 host. It has worked for many months.

Today however I noticed that if I logged on to the system, the mouse clicks (left and right) were not registering. The mouse moves and that movement is detected (text will appear when hovering) and the keyboard works.

I have tried this on a (quite old) back up and the mouse clicks are registering. And other VMs work fine too.

The mouse is a wireless USB, works for the host and other guest VMs. The USB controller is set to USB 2.0. I did set "show all USB devices" and the VM now shows the wireless mouse and the keyboard icons in the USB list. Both greyed out, right mouse shows "connect" just like a USB stick. So VMware knows they are there.

As I said, not sure if this is mint or VMware problem. I am at a loss as to where to look to gain clues.

Regards,

John

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
norricorp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I did some more searching and trying a few things. And this is what I found.

I copied the VM to VMware player 14. Not only no mouse, but no keyboard either.

I then changed grub to allow me to boot into an earlier kernel. So downgraded from 4.4 to 3.19.

And this worked.

So mint 17.3 and kernel above 4 causes the vmmouse to fail?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
norricorp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I did some more searching and trying a few things. And this is what I found.

I copied the VM to VMware player 14. Not only no mouse, but no keyboard either.

I then changed grub to allow me to boot into an earlier kernel. So downgraded from 4.4 to 3.19.

And this worked.

So mint 17.3 and kernel above 4 causes the vmmouse to fail?

0 Kudos