VMware Communities
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Converting VM from workstation version 8 to version 12 using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone

I downloaded “VMware vCenter Converter Standalone” and completed the VM conversion from version 8 to version 11x/12x. When I tried to open the converted version 12 VM in VMware workstation
12 pro, the VMware workstation doesn’t seem even try to read the VM. Not sure what did I miss?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you already had a Workstation-compatible VM, why did you use the Converter on it?  You should be able to open it with Workstation 12, and "upgrade" the VM to a version 12 VM within Workstation.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If you already had a Workstation-compatible VM, why did you use the Converter on it?  You should be able to open it with Workstation 12, and "upgrade" the VM to a version 12 VM within Workstation.

0 Kudos
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

As I know of (tried) the upgrading within workstation can only go to version 14 which is in-compatible with my desktop hardware. Unfortunately, my desktop can only upgrade to the workstation 12. I therefore found unsupported version 12 from VMware site and upgraded to version 12. And hope to use vCenter converter to convert the version 8 VM to version 12.

0 Kudos