VMware Communities
johncaruso
Contributor
Contributor

FYI (/bug report): Dropdown list sometimes doesn't show up in Key Mappings dialogue

While trying to map an Insert key in VMware Fusion 10.1.1 (via Fusion > Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Key Mappings > '+') I discovered that there's a bug that can occur this dialogue box. It's supposed to provide you with a dropdown list of translations in the "To:" field, but:

• If you click into the "To:" field, you are not shown the dropdown list, and
  • If you click the blue down arrow on the "To:" field, you are not shown the dropdown list

It turns out the only way to see the dropdown list is to 1) click the blue down arrow on the "To:" field and THEN 2) click into the field. Unless you do these two steps in this order, the dropdown list won't show up.

(If you hit any key while you're clicked into the "To:" field, though--e.g. the cursor keys--even this workaround may not work, apparently because the "To:" field is now filled with a candidate key. I found you had to click back and forth between the down arrow and the field in this case, and I had varying results as to when I was shown the dropdown list.)

Apparently this bug is not entirely consistent between Fusion installations--I installed two different machines from the same copy of the Fusion installer, and one exhibited this bug but the other didn't. I'm not sure what the difference might have been. Also, updating to a more recent version of Fusion on the machine that was affected fixed the problem, so if you run into this it's possible that a Fusion update will correct it.

0 Kudos
0 Replies