VMware Communities
JohanBWdeVries
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 18 guest hangs

Sometimes after some usage my Ubuntu 18 guest VM hangs.

In the guest I receive the following errors in the syslog multiple times:

May 19 17:11:57 ubuntu kernel: [ 7700.935992] [drm:vmw_cmdbuf_work_func [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Command "SVGA_3D_CMD_DX_DESTROY_SHADERRESOURCE_VIEW" causing device error.

May 19 17:11:57 ubuntu kernel: [ 7700.935996] [drm:vmw_cmdbuf_work_func [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Command buffer offset is 0

May 19 17:11:57 ubuntu kernel: [ 7700.936000] [drm:vmw_cmdbuf_work_func [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Command size is 12

I'm currently using VMware Workstation 12 Player on Windows 7 Pro. The graphics drivers on my host are up to date as far as I know.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Ubuntu 18 is not supported on any version of Workstation or Player.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Try switching from using DX11 to OpenGL. For details look at this thread Ubuntu 16.04 Crashing/3D

You don't say what your graphics card is and whether 3D acceleration is enabled or not on the Ubuntu VM. Generally I don't recommend this switching to OpenGL if the host machine only has Intel HD graphics. In addition to that the switching to OpenGL for 3D acceleration works if the graphics card supports OpenGL 4.x.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

VMware Workstation Player 14.1.2 just got released.

One of the major features is support for Ubuntu 18.04.

VMware Player 14.1.2 Download

see also:

VMware Workstation 14.1.2 Pro Release Notes

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
JohanBWdeVries
Contributor
Contributor

I've configured my VM with the OpenGL changes. I will keep it running for a bit to test this, it happens sporadically. Thank you for the tip!

I will also look into VMware player 14, to see if that helps anything. I'm not sure this is an Ubuntu 18 issue though, I may have seen it on earlier Ubuntu versions too.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I will also look into VMware player 14, to see if that helps anything

Sorry I appear to have missed that you are running Workstation 12, otherwise I would not have mentioned that "it is now supported" reply.

Please note that you cannot have Workstation 12 and VMware Player 14 both installed at the same host at the same time.

From a security point of view Player 14 is recommended, as it has security fixes for the latest issues whereas Workstation 12 is no longer current and kept up to date.

However if you don't want to buy the update then you loose a number of features that are in Workstation 12. Most notable is the opportunity to create/commit snapshots, but there's other features not in Player that are in Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
JohanBWdeVries
Contributor
Contributor

I just had the hang again with OpenGL enabled instead of DX11, apparently that didn't make a difference.

I will look into upgrading to 14

0 Kudos
JohanBWdeVries
Contributor
Contributor

I've installed VMware Player 14.1.2 build-8497320, but it gives the same error.

Are there any other things I can try?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Another thing you can try is to run the beta.

Workstation Tech Preview

--

Wil

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

In case you are using Nvidia graphics on the host machine, try disabling the Stereoscopic 3D from the Nvidia Control Panel in case that option is available to you. I don't see that option on my laptop with GTX960M.

0 Kudos
maxlawwk
Contributor
Contributor

I register an account here to express my disappointment of this long-unsolved issue. It hangs almost all the time right after booting.

Hack! All I need was running a shell script to batch retrieve data to my host folder. But I spent 6 hours and most of the time I tried to workaround a hanged boot screen. I was able to get into a working Ubuntu desktop a few times but the silly shared folder feature didn't work at all. hgfs was empty all the time. Nothing of updating vmtools or VMPlayer helped.

It is just ridiculous that there are so many obstacles preventing an extremely simple task from working. Waste of time.

0 Kudos
Marshalleq
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having similar issues, so far my suspicion is it's disk or network related.  In particular a horrible green drive in the box, but that should be able to do more the 5MB/s or the onboard nic driver.

Seems to work OK and intermittently appear to hang, but actually come back after a while.  Trying passthrough Nic to see if it makes a difference.

0 Kudos