VMware Cloud Community
dfoley1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DNS Naming

Hi All,

Currently Working on the Deployment of VRA within my Companies vSphere environment,

Active Directory machine OU Grouping is working and Machine prefixes is also working, What i am trying to figure out is every time I do a boot-up a machine within VRA it's taken the DNS of the Golden Image; I would like to know how do i get that Machine Name prefixe name as the DNS Name of the machine? also how do i join a Windows Domain for that Machine. using custom propties within the blueprint?

Thanks

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

All those questions are answered by using a vSphere Customization Spec in your blueprints.

0 Kudos
dfoley1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Daphnissov

pastedImage_0.png

Do you have a reference link for those custom properties ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not talking about custom properties here, I'm talking about a vSphere Customization Spec which is used to join Windows-based VMs to a domain and also set their host names (including DNS suffix). Click the Build Information tab.

dfoley1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for that I am now able to Join the Domain and DNS is added.

What is the best way to Remove DNS entries for machines that i remove from VRA?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

For automatic removals, you will either have to wire up your own EBS subscription and vRO workflow to do this, or if you want a simpler, quicker, code-free way of handling automatic adds and removals you can check out one of the SovLabs modules which integrates with all forms of DNS out there (SolarWinds, Infoblox, Microsoft, etc.).

dfoley1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, For now i will try and use the embedded VRO within VRA 7.4 for the workflows.

0 Kudos