VMware Cloud Community
Dodiviper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter on ESXi 4.1 losted. The "vmdk" file, datastore have only "delta.vmdk" and one snapshot. How recover this vm?

My VMware Host ESXi 4.1 losed RAID configuration, but I have access to datastore in another Host.

I already resolved the RAID configuration and back with the same Host, but the vCenter vm doesn't work. The vmdk file doesn't exist, only a delta.vmdk and one snapshot.

I'm using xShell ssh and winSCP to access datastore and server host, too.

Is it possible recover it?

6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

please read
Create a VMFS-Header-dump using an ESXi-Host in production | VM-Sickbay
If you provide such a dump file I may be able to help you.
Ulli

0 Kudos
Dodiviper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes continuum​, thank you!

I got the file, I'm downloading it to my computer and I already sent you the link.

0 Kudos
Dodiviper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's the link: https://we.tl/Tt7Emi7qE1

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
I just checked your dump.
I found a vcenter.vmdk but it is only 117MB - and it does not match the size of the snapshot.
Call me via skype to discuss this problem.
Ulli

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I got the file, I'm downloading it to my computer and I already sent you the link.
Sorry - dont know how you send it - I did not receive it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

UPDATE:
After a teamviewersession in which we inspected the basedisk and snapshot files we found  no reason for the observed behaviour.
I have never seen this before.
The basedisk appeared to be wiped blank and truncated. The descriptorfile perfectly referenced the new truncated size.
Maybe Download.jpg