VMware Communities
nickh0559
Contributor
Contributor

VMware 14.1 Video performence in VMs suddenly slows no recovery short of reboot.

Hello All;

I have a system with VMware 14.1 running under Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS, I have multiple VM operating systems running on it (Various Windows version up to 10, a couple Ubuntus), it is a powerful box with no reason at all to believe I have a hardware limitation so please lets stay away from the "Your hardware can't keep up, go buy a new video card suggestions".

The situation is the VMs will play back video just fine for some period of time and then maybe one VM will start playing videos slow like a half speed, not a jumping choppy half speed but rather a steady consistent half speed.  (Not a hardware unable to perform situation) Sometimes if it is one VM a sysple shut down of that VM is enough to bring back performance..for a while.  Once the situation starts it is downhill  over the next few days all the VMs will start to play slow. (Yes for a while it is possible to have slow and fast VMs) Once they are all slow even a full shut down of VMware will not clear the problem.  The only know cure is a full power down to cold and reboot.

It matters not which format or source of video, it can be local or Web based.

Even when the VMs are all playing video slow the host is unchanged.

Zotac GeForce GT 710 2GB Low Profile Video Card (THis is not a gaming system so the card manages very well)

Latest drivers.

i7-6850K

X99 chipset (Gigabyte GA-X99 Designare)

128GB DDR4  (Yeah it might seem a bit  much but circuit simulations can always use more.....)

1TB SSD for host OS

16  TB raid 1 0 for VMs.

Hoping for the magic bullet suggestion.

Thanks

Nick

0 Kudos
0 Replies