4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2018 12:05 AM by PSVM

6.7 - What am I missing here?

semery67 Lurker

Long time VROPs user here, since Cap IQ days.

Just recently did a fresh install of 6.7 for a new data center we are standing up.  I'm feeling pretty stupid as I realize there have been some changes, but it looks as though a TON of features we used to use are gone?  I'm hoping they are just hidden somewhere that I can't find them, but I'm staring to doubt that.  Specifically:

- Where are the analysis, stress and recommendation tabs and info?

- For policies - where do you now set things like CPU and memory over allocation polices and the like?

- For VM level troubleshooting and performance - what happened to things like oversize\undersized\reclaimable info?

Lastly, nearly every test VM we have stood up shows like 99% memory utilization.  I read another post here mentioning that might be a know issue, but wondered if there was any more info on that?

Bottom line.  Am I better off destroying this current build and going with 6.6 again?

This is very frustrating.

Thanks for any info.

• 1. Re: 6.7 - What am I missing here?
          daphnissov Champion
          Community WarriorsvExpert

There's a lot you're missing, it's true, because a lot has changed. You'd probably better read the docs and KBs on the 6.7 release. Bottom line: If you rely on some of that functionality, you may want to stick with 6.6.1 for now (or 6.5).

• 2. Re: 6.7 - What am I missing here?
            semery67 Lurker

Thanks.  Been doing quite a bit of reading over the past two days, but just figured I was missing something\somewhere.

I was always a pretty hardcore VROPS zealot, but man, this is like 12 steps backward at this point.

• 3. Re: 6.7 - What am I missing here?
              semery67 Lurker

Just following up.  After playing around again for to long, I blew the whole install away and did a 6.6.1 install.  Everything is back, perfect, and working as expected.

Here's hoping VMware brings back all those missing features soon.  I sent an e-mail to my TAM and sales rep regarding my feelings toward the new version.  I'm sure one voice can't do a whole lot, but considering our ELA is up for renewal, maybe they will listen just a little bit, lol.

• 4. Re: 6.7 - What am I missing here?
                PSVM Lurker

I have had to open 4 support calls.

One is for false positive security logon messages from Log Insight

One for the 100% CPU usage

One for Stress

One for reports that now miss a ton of useful information

For me this is the worst release of vROPS ever. I am not in a position to go back to 6.6 so will have to make the best of it. Glad we also have Veeam One as that is still reliable and does what it is supposed to do.

I am confused how the 100% CPU issue got through testing and why anyone would think it a good idea to remove so many of the useful features.

A huge backwards step

• 5. Re: 6.7 - What am I missing here?
                  silus Novice

We had to also revert back to 6.6 as well.

Take for example where in 6.6 you could go to a VM and see recommendations for how much cpu/memory to add/remove. They removed this and added it all under the capacity > reclaim dashboard. But there is no way to sort/filter/search for vms so if you have a lot of entries you can only browse the table manually and keep clicking next.

Absolutely awful awful awful design.

Not to mention most VMs now showing up as out of memory if they are caching data (as most modern OS do, and release that cached data if something else requires the space)

Whoever signed off this heap as complete?  They clearly rushed this out to meet the vsphere 6.7 release because it seems like it is in mid redevelopment where they've removed all the useful stuff, didn't have time to put it back in and just released it that way.

Anyone from Vmware care to enlighten us what the hell is going on here?