VMware Communities
435q
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware kernel header 4.2.8 not found

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 on QNAP linux station. I have installed gcc 4.9 but got another error. How do i do with this???

There is no infomation about it on the interenet and i don't want break ubuntu by using wrong command. My knowledge of linux is limited

P.S I don't want to use Virtualization Station because it sucks and it doesn't support GPU acceleration by stupid design

pastedImage_0.png

9 Replies
msihtasham
Contributor
Contributor

Which Kernel are you using (check with uname -a). Because with the 11.04 upgrade ubuntu silently switched my kernel from linux-generic to linux-generic-pae without installing the relevant headers, which uses a different set of linux headers. As per the three responses below, using apt-get is the proper way to solve the issue, you just have to make sure the kernel headers are the right ones.

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/version.h

435q
Contributor
Contributor

My kernel version is:

Linux ubuntu_1604 4.2.8 #1 SMP Tue May 1 01:22:47 CST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Linux station isn't a virtual machine, it runs in real hardware and binded between QNAP system and Linux station. it runs custom Ubuntu 16.04.

I'm not familar with kernel. I don't know which is right or wrong. I used that command you provided and reboot but it doesn't help Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is the Ubuntu 16.04 provided by QNAP or did you get it directly from Ubuntu? (My QNAP NAS is too old to run Linux Station so I don't know that much about it.)

What is the output of "uname -a" (without the quotes) from Ubuntu 16.04?

I ask because Ubuntu 16.04.0 launched with a 4.4 kernel in April 2016. The 4.2 kernel you have is an older kernel that was launched with Ubuntu 14.04.4/15.10 in February 2016.

0 Kudos
435q
Contributor
Contributor

As I said above, but I'll tell you output again

Linux ubuntu_1604 4.2.8 #1 SMP Tue May 1 01:22:47 CST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The Ubuntu 16.04 is provided by QNAP. I'm afraid it is a custom kernel by QNAP.

Reason why i'm using Linux station because it runs in real hardware and fully support GPU acceleration and I only hope Vmware will run faster than Virtualization Station. Virtualization Station doesn't support GPU acceleration by stupid design and it will use more CPU usage if GPU acceleration is emulated. I'll avoid using it at all.

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From a quick browse of the QNAP forum suggests headers are available for the 4.2.8 kernel.

Try this command to install them:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

There is also a thread there about installing VMware Workstation/Player in Linux Station:

[Linux Station] VMware Workstation/Player or Oracle VirtualBox on Linux Station : how to ?

The thread is a few years old but it should give you a good idea of what you need to do.

0 Kudos
435q
Contributor
Contributor

No dice, linux headers already installed

linux-headers-4.2.8 is already the newest version (0.5~xenial).

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

I tried --reinstall, it success but stil getting "kernel header 4.2.8 not found" error

And the link you provided is too complicated and lack of details. Also i need to be able to remote and access both QNAP system and Linux, Not just press F2 to boot to other systems

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I tried --reinstall, it success but stil getting "kernel header 4.2.8 not found" error

From the QNAP forum there appear to be parts missing from the QNAP kernel headers which may be the cause of this error.

And the link you provided is too complicated and lack of details.

Installing VMware Workstation in Linux Station is complicated. Installing apps that require kernel modules, as VMware Workstation does, will not be the same as on a normal PC. The procedures are QNAP Linux Station specific.

Linux Station is a Linux Container (LXC) which shares a 'chroot' kernel with QTS. The kernel modules for VMware Workstation will have to be manually compiled and installed on QTS so they are available to Linux Station. There appear to be other patches that also need to be applied to get the best performance.

Unless there is someone on this forum who has already installed VMware Workstation in Linux Station and is prepared to share their experience your best chance of help would be on the QNAP forums. I understand the theory of what needs to be done but have no hardware to test it on.

0 Kudos
435q
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I figured it out when I read more about it. I will ask QNAP forums for help. Hope someone will help. I will contact QNAP devs regarding GPU support for Virtulization Station 3 again

Thanks for help anyway.

0 Kudos
hiyal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I have ts251+ and I got same problem. I want to use VMWare Player on Linux Station because Virtualization is running horribly slooooooow

Have anyone manage to got it work on QNAP?

0 Kudos