VMware Communities
MrWolf80
Contributor
Contributor

Grab mouse input when cursor enters VM window

Hi! I'm using VMware Workstation 14 on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I remember that, in the previous versions of Workstation, there was an option so that mouse input was grabbed when the cursor entered the VM window.

Searching here and there, I found this:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/F95EI.gif

(Sorry, it gives me error uploading an image)

Now, the only options available are "Grab keyboard and mouse input on mouse click" and "Grab keyboard and mouse input on key press".

I don't know why that setting was removed, but I'd like that the VM could grab mouse input without clicking on it.

I don't know if it is possible to add a setting to preferences.ini.

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The option you required is checking Automatically grab and ungrab the mouse, it's in Edit -> Preference -> Input

MrWolf80
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer.

I was actually looking for an option / a way so that the VM would grab input mouse directly, without clicking in it.

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This option should work without clicking. Have you tried on win7 and win10 guest?

0 Kudos
MrWolf80
Contributor
Contributor

So... I don't know if it's my problem, then, but I have to mouse click or keyboard click when the VM is on focus so that the VM grabs mouse and keyboard input.

If I well remember, in the past, the VM grabbed the first mouse or keyboard click.

Ungrabbing works without problem.

0 Kudos
Sam1325
Contributor
Contributor

has this ever been fixed ? I'am using the VMware® Workstation 15 Pro and having the exact same problem!

0 Kudos
Matt313
Contributor
Contributor

Running Workstation 16 Pro and it still isn't working the way I remember it did.

0 Kudos
Mr_Dee
Contributor
Contributor

Using Workstation 16 Pro and it’s not working. I have my virtual machine on a second screen/monitor and would like to switch between my host operating system and my VM without clicking in the VM to get the focus.

0 Kudos