VMware Cloud Community
DefenderAtkins
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vCenter 5.5 Server to vCenter 6.7 Appliance Migration

Hi all,

I have a vCenter 5.5 Server (Windows) in my current environment which is acting as a standalone local auth server to manage my hosts. It once belonged to a domain but that domain has been retired. This vCenter server is managing 3 hosts (HA enabled) and 1 SAN (2 software iSCSI controllers each host)  and 1 DVSwitch.

I have a new domain and a new vCenter 6.5 Appliance within that domain. Right now, the new vCenter server is just sitting there doing nothing. Both old and new vCenter servers are in the same network. The new vCenter Appliance is deployed as a VM in one of the hosts managed by the old vCenter Server. I have 5 Resource Pools and a few hundred VMs.

From looking at what I have, what will be the best way to migrate all the hosts, VMs, SAN controllers and DVSwitch config to the new vCenter Appliance and upgrade the hosts to vSphere 6.5?

The objective of this migration and upgrade is to have minimum downtime and reconfig.

This is what I am thinking:

• Export DVSwitch config from old vCenter Server and import it to the new vCenter Appliance
  • Move the hosts to the new vCenter Appliance
  • Disable HA and DRS
  • Move all VMs to two hosts and upgrade the third host to vSphere 6.5
  • Move half the VMs to the upgraded host which will free up one of the two hosts.
  • Upgrade that empty host.
  • Move all VMs onto two upgraded hosts and upgrade the last host.
  • Re-enable/reconfigure HA and DRS on the three upgraded hosts.

Any issue/catch you can think of? Is there a correct/better way of doing this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This may work with vCenter Server 6.5, but vCenter Server 6.7 doesn't support ESXi 5.5 hosts.

Also consider to disable HA and DRS prior to moving the hosts to the new environment.

Another important thing to take care of, is to ensure that any 3rd party applications (e.g. backup) you are using support vSphere 6.7.

André

0 Kudos
Wolken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do not forget about some details which should be taken into account while planning the update, like compatibility of software, backups, VMFS6, etc.

You can read about them here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/vmware-vsphere-6-5-what-to-be-aware-of-before-upgrade

Also, you can find useful tips to work with vCSA 6.5 here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/vmware-vcenter-server-appliance-6-5

0 Kudos
RajeevVCP4
Expert
Expert

5.5 can not migrate direct to 6.7 , you required first 6.5

Please check interoperability matrix

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

Rajeev Chauhan
VCIX-DCV6.5/VSAN/VXRAIL
Please mark help full or correct if my answer is use full for you
0 Kudos