VMware Communities
gangelo
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 10.11.1 for Mac: Mouse Disappears then GUI disappears in Ubuntu 14.04

I recently had to increase the size of my virtual disk as I ran out of space on my VM. Following that process, whenever I try to start my VM (Ubuntu 14.04), I initially see the desktop (see notes below); then, a second later, the desktop goes black and if I try to gain focus using the mouse pointer, the mouse pointer disappears. I need to use ctrl + command to unlock the mouse.

A few notes:

• I am able to ssh into the VM and have verified that the disk resizing worked and that I have enough space and my swap is properly set up.
  • The GUI and mouse work fine when logging in, but before the desktop appears.
  • Right after login, when the desktop appears for a second, I am able to use the mouse and it works (click an app icon for example), but then the desktop goes blank.

I reinstalled open vm tools, but that didn't do anything. For what's it's worth, I'm using Hardware Version 14.

I'm at a loss to know what to do at this point and need help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

What hardware/Mac are you using?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
gangelo
Contributor
Contributor

statsa.png

statsb.png

0 Kudos
zhus
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try to increase the memory to 2GB, and make sure the Settings -> Display -> Checkbox "Use full resolution for Retina display" is unchecked. Does it still happen?

0 Kudos