VMware Cloud Community
redeagle
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had any experience with the Migrate Tenant Storage feature in vCloud Director 9.x? We would like to move some orgs to new storage and this looks like the way to do it. Would like to hear from someone who has used this feature.

Has anyone had any experience with the Migrate Tenant Storage feature in vCloud Director 9.x? We would like to move some orgs to new storage and this looks like the way to do it. Would like to hear from someone who has used this feature.

Tags (1)
3 Replies
LooseMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes. Short answer, in 9.1 it's broken and doesn't work. I have a support case open with them at the moment. The workaround is to:

1. Add the new storage policy to the provider vDC as usual

2. Add the new storage policy to the Org vDC

3. Change the Org default storage policy to the one you wish to move to

4. Change the VM storage policy to the one you wish to move to, this should kick off a back-end svMotion to the new storage

To move your edges, just redeploy and it should redeploy to the default storage policy. I've asked support this morning for an update, but I suspect it'll be a bug fix (half the time I feel like I'm bug checking for them lately).

LooseMoose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Support finally came back to me on this, according to https://docs.vmware.com/en/vCloud-Director/9.1/com.vmware.vcloud.admin.doc/GUID-0ACC5D50-237B-4852-A...

"one or more of the destination datastores must be associated with each storage profile that's available in the organization VDCs backed by the source datastores."

So, you're source and destination datastore MUST be members of the same storage policy. I've raised how silly this is, as in a large environment theres the potential that temporarily adding the source datastore could mean other tenants provision to it. I've raised as a feature request but at this stage it's by design.

0 Kudos
emanueleroserba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I used it to move some tenants from a phasing out storage to the new one, worked well, we were using 9.0, didnt' used again the feature after upgrading to 9.1 so I'm not aware of the problems introduced by the upgrade.

0 Kudos