VMware Communities
ViperMI
Contributor
Contributor

Could not open /dev/vmmon: No such file or directory

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and whatever instance I try to start I get the could not open /dev/vmmon error.

I've attached my diagnostic files. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Have you searched this forum for "could not open /dev/vmmon"? There are many recent posts about this symptom - and some answers about what could be causing it.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ViperMI
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried all the suggestions in the other posts but it still isn't working, I was hoping that with the diagnostic files someone would be able to help pinpoint the issue better just in case I was missing something.

0 Kudos
Kingrody
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue as ViperMI. I also tried all the "tips" including re-installing Fusion. After the re-install the /dev/vmmon error message turned into a generic internal error message.

It seems that users have similar issues with the Fusion 10 version. Of course it might be related to the OSX 10.13.4 MacSierra version but I think VMWare should provide an official response and solution. For now my VMware Fusion license is unusable and useless.

Is there a way that I can convert my existing VMware fusion images to VirtualBox? At least it seems that VirtualBox is running fine with MacSierra.

0 Kudos