ubuntu 16.04.04 (host) run as root + kernel 4.04 latest
VMware Workstation 14.1 (latest)
i7 3630QM + Geforce 730M + SSD 850EVO
Drivers: nvidia-396 + bumblebee latest

1. I launch vmware so:
optirun vmware
2. The virtual machine is stored on a USB flash drive:
SanDisk Extreme Go USB 3.1 formatted in ntfs

3. Virtual machine: Windows 8.1 update 3 (with all updates).
Clean.

The configuration is standard.
Just tried to perform any manipulations with the settings.

The problem is one - a virtual machine on a flash drive VERY MUCH !!! strongly brakes, so much that even scrolls in the notebook creates a hang. The SSD does not have such problems.

This problem really hinders me from working. Virtualfulbox does not experience these problems, but I need vmware.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Running VMs from a USB disk is a bad idea to begin with, regardless of the software you use to do so. There is such massive performance differences from a USB SSD versus one connected over SATA/SAS bus that it isn't even funny. If you want to ensure you have decent performance for your virtual machines, start by ditching your USB storage.

0 Kudos
StopyZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So why does the virtualbox work without problems?

vmware same when scrolling begins to "lag"

I need a portable virtual machine that will work in off-line mode - everywhere. Flash drive is the most convenient for me

0 Kudos
StopyZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you understand that this is not normal?
virtualbox works without any brakes at all, and vmware slows down so that even in the notepad you can see that the scroll stops

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> Do you understand that this is not normal?
Yes - but somehow we got used to it.
Several versions ago VMs could be used from a USB-flash drive - similar to the performance you are used to from Virtualbox.
Unfortunately this is history - nowadays Workstation powerusers would not attempt to run a VM from a USB-flash-drive.
Last time I tried this myself I actually used the same  SSD via USB 3 in WS12 - the VM was very slow but still usable.
Maybe try WS12 ?

0 Kudos
StopyZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WS12?

Alas, I can not use a portable drive.
1. It's not convenient. A flash drive easily fits in your pocket.
2. Work is related to security. Flash drive can be quietly connected, and from the pocket to pull out the disk ... Yes, and external ))))))
3. I tried using USB 3 HDD 7200 - the problem is similar.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

WS12 = VMware Workstation 12

0 Kudos
StopyZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Already tried the 12th version. And now I tried again.
Brakes even more.

0 Kudos
richard612
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If memory serves, Virtualbox can be configured to offer some fairly aggressive write-back caching to its guests.  I wonder if this caching is covering up just how slow the USB drive actually is.

0 Kudos