VMware Cloud Community
mucmars
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel NUC7 i7 DNHE & VMWare 6.5, 6.7: Installation hangs

Hi all,

I just got a brand new Intel NUC7.

When installing the device, the procedures always hangs (or: seems to hang) at "initializing storage stack".

I have done some searching but I didn't find any strategy on how to handle this.

For starters, I was also trying to get a more verbose output during installation (like what exactly is stuck at that message, see above) etc., but also I didn't find any boot time option for the installer to get a more detailled output.

Configuration is:

- 32GB RAM

- Samsung 960 Pro 512 M.2

- Seagate 2TB HDD

Any help welcome, since without ESXi on that system I would need to send it back again ;(

Cheers!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rohitsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ensure you are using UEFI mode in bios

Also, are you trying to dual boot it, if not

it could be due to newer NVME device driver, check vendor website if there is vib available for that if yes, you need to pass the driver as a kernel parameter before installing.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
mucmars
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

thanks for the reference; I've already seen this page, but it doesn't help me with the problem.

Furthermore, since it refers to an older version of the nuc, it might not apply in all aspects.

- "old": nuc7i7 bnh... ("Kaby Lake - Baby Canyon")

- "new": nuc7i7 dnhe ("Products formerly Dawson Canyon")

Still, I am looking for a deeper output from the booting process during installation - is that possible?

Thanks,

m

0 Kudos
Rohitsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ensure you are using UEFI mode in bios

Also, are you trying to dual boot it, if not

it could be due to newer NVME device driver, check vendor website if there is vib available for that if yes, you need to pass the driver as a kernel parameter before installing.

bemat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have same issue with NUC7i7DHNE and Esxi 6.7, hangs on "initialization storage" but the problem is boot in legacy mode. Put boot in UEFI mode and it works with 6.7 esx default image. (esx 6.0 doesn't work) Hope it helps

mucmars
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah - that did the trick (uefi boot mode). thanks for helping!

somehow missed to check the bios correctly Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
MarkusLanderti1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

SOLVED: After sending the post, I tried to DISABLE LEGACY BOOT - and that made thant thing continuing the setup process Smiley Happy

Update1: Now the NVME doesn't get recognized by setup. So the search continues Smiley Wink

Update2: The standard 6.5 U2 Image works with the NVME, so my customized 6.7 Image (with the 6.5 NVME VIB) is maybe not working. I will recompose the 6.7 image again and will send an update if it worked.

Hi there,

I'm feeling sorry for answering to this old thread, but I've got the same problem here.

Brand new NUC7i5DNHE and the installation keeps haning on 'Initializing storage stack'

What I did so far:

1. Bios Update to the most recent version.

2. Tried 6.5 U2 and 6.7 U3 original Images: No success.

3. Made a custom ISO 6.7 U3 with the NVME driver from 6.5 U2 after I saw this one here: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2019/05/quick-tip-crucial-nvme-ssd-not-recognized-by-esxi-6-7.html   also - No Success.

I can confirm that my BIOS is running in UEFI mode. I also tried it with Legacy Mode - no chance whatsoever.

Can you specify the setting's you made in detail ?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos