VMware Cloud Community
tubatodd
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.7 - OVF Export Fails on VMDK export

I just installed VMware ESXi on a Dell R620 to test with. I have an opensuse 42.3 Linux guest VM that is powered off. When I go to export as OVF I can fetch the .ovf file, but it fails to fetch the associated VMDK. In Google Chrome I get "Failed - Network Error." When I use Firefox it fetches about 80-90MB of the VMDK and then stops. There is no error shown. On the ESXi host, it shows the request for the export but does not log any actual error.

I tried downloading the VMDK via the datastore browser but that didn't fetch the actual vmdk.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

how about ovftool?? If you try to export the vm using ovftool?

Thanks,

MS

tubatodd
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like the ovftool worked. So this is just a web GUI issue.

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Possibly or might be timing out extracting the data when using gui.. For large disk size, it is good to use the ovftool.

thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
GeeGee_NVa
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue.....  I reported this over on the Re: Cannot export to OVA after Upgrade to 6.5 thread, as I, unfortunately, found that thread before I found this one, but the end result is exactly the same as you stated....  My only difference is the host machine I am using is an HP Proliant DL360 Gen 9 server.  I should also state I'm not trying to export a Linux distribution, either, but rather, they're all Windows OS platforms.....  Varying types (i.e., Windows Server 2016, Windows 10 and Windows 7 during today's attempts).

I had read (elsewhere) that OVF Tool could be leveraged to accomplish the task-at-hand, which bothers me greatly--never having used that tool before....  Looks like I need to get acquainted with it, since I don't see/hear anything which makes me believe a fix for this in the Web GUI is in the offing anytime soon....  I dislike having to resort to this, as I see the issue at-hand as a defect in the current GUI, and I shouldn't have to download a different tool, learn how to use it, (and deal with outputs different from what I am accustomed to).  I mean, I guess I am 'glad' such a 'workaround' exists (it could be worse and no workaround exists), but I would like to believe something is actively being done on this particular matter--and is getting solved rather than relegating it to the back burner simply because a "workaround" exists.....

Now I have to take time out of schedule and try to get savvy enough to use OVF Tool.....

I suppose I could look at this a yet another learning experience--and making myself all the more marketable by not being stymied when hitting one brick wall--turning 90 degrees and running smack dab into another brick wall....  What quirks will I encounter with OVF Tool, I wonder....

Would be very nice to hear from someone in authority that this matter (along with the other "quirks" I mentioned on that other thread) are actively being addressed.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
REC007
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

I have faced the similar issue where export of vm as OVF fails however you can achieve this goal from vCenter webclient & it Works like a champ.

You can use vCenter webclient to export OVF template.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
sccm
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I can export with vcenter standalone converter

0 Kudos
Jmalarino
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I have the same issue and with OVFtool it works

0 Kudos
sandeepk212ohli
Contributor
Contributor

share tool link

0 Kudos
ralfklein
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello. You are looking for this?
https://developer.vmware.com/web/tool/4.4.0/ovf

0 Kudos
wadih999
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, the reason was that there was an ISO file still attached to the virtual machine that didn't exist anymore.

So the web ui was failing silently.

I discovered that was the reason after using ovftool and trying to export it using that.

When I removed the missing ISO reference from the virtual machine settings, it would export flawlessly.