VMware Communities
philcruz
Contributor
Contributor

The virtual machine is not powered on

I've been running VMWare Fusion 10.1.1 for months with no issues. Suddenly, today, I switch over to the Windows 10 vm and it's not responding. The activity monitory shows vmware-vmx (Not responding). In the Virtual Machine menu it shows "Windows running" in greyed out text. Choosing any of the options to restart, suspend, or shut down give the message "The virtual machine is not powered on". Trying to quit Fusion gives the same message. I do a force quit and relaunch Fusion and I can't launch the VM. I still see vmware-vmx (Not responding in the activity monitory. And now VMWare Fusion (Not Responding) as well.  I reboot the machine and I can start the VM but then at some point it goes unresponsive and I'm in the same boat.

What could be the issue? (I think Windows did a big update recently.)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi philcruz,

Could you please describe "it's not responding" with more detail? Did it happen when you try to power on Windows 10 VM? How about the screen, anything showed in the screen or just keep black?

Also, would you please try to power it on without 3D acceleration and see if it helps?

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can force-quit the vmware-vmx process instead of the 'VMware Fusion' process. The latter is just the UI, the former is the actual running process that the VM lives in.

As for why this is happening, that's hard to narrow down without knowing more about your setup, hardware, workflow, apps, etc.

Stuff like this is one that I'd consider engaging our support team about.

There could be several external factors interacting which causes this situation, and our team is pretty thorough when troubleshooting.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos