VMware Cloud Community
newsloader
Contributor
Contributor

multiboot conversion

Hello people!  I need help here and I'm getting some info before I can proceed with my intention.

My goal is converting the current Windows XP OS into a VM. I've already read that it's possible converting a real OS into a VM, but I have some doubts here...

This computer has a multiboot menu loaded by Windows 10 bootloader. Then, I have the following OSes and partitions:

C:/   ==> Windows XP system      ==> HDD 1

D:/   ==> User data                        ==> HDD 2

E:/   ==> Windows 7 system         ==> HDD 2

G:/   ==> Windows 10 system       ==> HDD 1

Z:/    ==> Swap partition                ==> HDD 2

So, the questions are: if I convert only the XP system can VMWare boot it if the system is currently in a multiboot mode? Or will the OS loading crash?

What recommendations do you guys give in this case?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
redshark_pl
Contributor
Contributor

I have similar problem.

1. On my phisical laptop on ONE disk I have windows 10 [partition C] and windows 7 [partition D]. Boot loader is standard from windows 10. I can switch between them.

2. Now I used vmware converter to virtualize only one system windows 7. I started vmWare converter and wanted to check only partition D but I couldn't because boot loader is from windows 10 [partition C] and C: is active partition so I need to check C: nad 😧 to convert. [I tried and once convert with scsi disk option, next with IDE disk option]

3. I have now image on my two system but... works only one! In VMPlayer windows 10 is ok, load just fine but I can not load windows 7... I don't know why but everytime I choose from boot windows 7 it tries to load nad then reset whole vmware and again back to manu of choosing both windows...

Anyone tried to convert phisical dual boot two system windows into VWMWare image and it works???

I can record video how I do it and place it on youtube to show you deeply what I mean...

0 Kudos